I believe wearing makeup is something we should do for ourselves, on our own terms. Not to hide our faces, because we’re all uniquely beautiful. Not to impress others, because anyone judging our worth based on our makeup isn’t worth our time. Not to look younger, because wisdom and experience comes with age.
Makeup should be a fun opportunity for self-expression. For me, applying makeup can be quite therapeutic! I don’t usually do looks that are very bold, but I love the process of choosing colors and deciding how I want to apply them.
Where am I going with this rambling? I want to share my favorite step in my full makeup routine, and that is eyeshadow! I think that eyeshadow allows for self-expression and creativity more than any other part of a makeup routine. Don’t get me wrong, I love all of it, but I think eyeshadow is special because there are so many different colors, textures, and techniques that can be used.
Disclosure: IntegriBeauty includes affiliate links within product review posts. I receive commissions for purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you. IntegriBeauty is independently owned and all products discussed within IntegriBeauty product review posts are thoroughly tested and given honest reviews.
I’ve accumulated quite a collection of eyeshadow palettes over the last couple of years. The one I purchased most recently, is a great choice for anyone wanting to try eyeshadow for the first time, or anyone that is intimidated by some of the giant palettes out there. E.l.f. Cosmetics recently released EIGHT tiny Bite Size Eyeshadow palettes. That is literally what they’re called: e.l.f. Bite Size Eyeshadows! Each one is a quad and each has a unique combination of colors and textures.
I love playing with all kinds of colors, but I chose the Rose Water palette because I like the way pinks look on my hazel eyes. I also think pinks are so versatile; they can be treated as neutrals to be worn with nearly anything.
Please note that since I only own the e.l.f. Bite Size Eyeshadow in the Rose Water shades, I do not have experience with the other palettes. Also, I am not a makeup artist. The opinions expressed in this review are my own, as a regular person that loves makeup. 😉
Product claims directly from ElfCosmetics.com
These palettes deliver mini eye magic in a perfect size. The luxe formula is creamy, blendable, & ultra-pigmented.
- 8 ultra-pigmented palettes
- A mix of matte & shimmer shades
- Easily blendable formula
- Perfect size for your purse and travel
Other product details
- Price: $3.00
- Net weight: 0.12 oz.
- Made in China
- Shelf life: 12 months
- Eight color options:
- Cream & Sugar is a standard neutral palette
- 2 mattes (cream and dark brown)
- 2 shimmers (champagne and gold)
- Rose Water is a pinky neutral palette
- 1 matte (light taupe/lavender)
- 2 shimmers (pale pink and medium pink)
- 1 matte with some gold glitter suspended (dark brown)
- Berry Bad has a mix of coral, copper, and berry shades
- 2 mattes (pale coral/pink and deep burgundy/brown)
- 2 shimmers (copper and berry-pink)
- Pumpkin Pie is a warm-toned neutral palette
- 2 mattes (medium brown and taupe-brown)
- 2 shimmers (copper and gold)
- Hot Jalapeño is a fun green-themed palette
- 2 mattes (medium green and black)
- 2 shimmers (yellow gold and medium green)
- Açaí You is another colorful palette, this time blue and purple
- 2 mattes (light periwinkle and dark blue)
- 2 shimmers (both shades of purple that are difficult to describe)
- Truffles is a darker neutral palette with shades great for doing a smoky eye
- 3 mattes (medium brown, dark brown, and black)
- 1 shimmer (champagne)
- Carnival Candy is a very interesting mix of neutral and bold
- 3 mattes (cream, medium brown, and red/brown)
- 1 shimmer (electric blue)
- Cream & Sugar is a standard neutral palette
- Where to buy: ElfCosmetics.com
- Overall rating: 9.4/10
- Inclusivity: 10/10
- Texture: 7/10
- Portability: 10/10
- Staying power: 10/10
- Price: 10/10
I give e.l.f. a solid 10/10 for inclusivity for these Bite Size Eyeshadow palettes for a couple of reasons. Most importantly, the shades are pigmented enough that they will show up on any skin tone! I can attest to the pigmentation based on my experience with the Rose Water palette, as well as photos I’ve seen of swatches from the other seven palettes.
These little palettes are also highly inclusive because there are options for almost every color preference. Want to wear a subtle look? Easy, with Cream & Sugar, Rose Water, or Pumpkin Pie. In the mood for a bold look? E.l.f. has you covered there too, with Hot Jalapeño, Açaí You, or Carnival Candy. Honestly, I think these palettes are so versatile you could go pretty subtle or bold with any of the eight options.
The Rose Water palette is unique in that it has three different textures instead of only two like the other palettes. I’d like to share my experiences and opinions of each texture in the palette:
- Matte (light taupe/lavender shade) is quite powdery and a bit chalky–it requires a lot of building to show up well on my fair skin, but blends pretty easily
- Shimmers (pale and medium pink shades) are literally where this palette shines–these shades are highly pigmented, buttery smooth, and apply more easily with a fingertip than a brush
- Matte with suspended gold glitter (dark brown shade) is very soft and you must be cautious to avoid fallout–glitter disappears as this shade is blended
Despite the minor difficulties I’ve experienced with this palette, all four eyeshadows can be used to create a beautiful cohesive look. In this look that I created today, I used the matte shade in my crease, the medium pink shade all over my lid, light pink in the center of my lid, and I used the dark brown as eyeliner. Another great option is to use the shimmers alone or paired with shades from other palettes.
After seeing swatches from all eight of these e.l.f. palettes it is clear that the shimmers are the standout eyeshadows. Some of the mattes appear to be better quality than others, but my advice would be to choose one (or more) of these palettes based on which shimmer shades appeal to you the most.
A downside of many eyeshadow palettes is that they are bulky, due to a wide variety of shades, or excessive packaging. Others might be made with flimsy packaging that’s easily broken. Either of these things can make eyeshadow difficult to travel with, or keep in your purse if you are one to apply your makeup on-the-go.
The e.l.f. Bite Size Eyeshadows are an excellent option for travelers or anyone that likes to carry makeup with them. All of the palettes are all extremely small, so they can easily fit into any bag. I included the photo below showing my Rose Water palette with a standard size pen to show just how tiny it really is! Also, even though the packaging is plastic, I feel that it is heavy enough that it would not break easily.
Eyeshadow is definitely not the easiest thing to apply and can take considerable time and effort to apply well. For that reason, I value eyeshadows that stay put all day long. I have never had a problem with this e.l.f. eyeshadow fading throughout the day. The rest of my makeup may wear off, but this eyeshadow will still be going strong when it’s time to wash my face at the end of the day. 🙂
For the best longevity possible, I highly recommend using an eye primer!
You really can’t beat the price of these little $3.00 e.l.f. eyeshadow quads! Some other drugstore brands charge two or three times this price for a single eyeshadow. Even with two of the four shadows in my Rose Water palette being slightly disappointing, I think it’s a great value and don’t regret buying it. I also appreciate that e.l.f. is keeping the price of these palettes so low because I think they’re a great non-intimidating option for someone just dipping their toe into eyeshadow for the first time. Eyeshadow palettes can be quite expensive and these are a good place to start without spending too much money.
I am so impressed with my e.l.f. Bite Size Eyeshadow in Rose Water, I am very excited to be sharing my thoughts here! I would highly recommend these cute palettes to anyone, despite the cons I mentioned about some of the shades. I enjoy the shimmers so much, I’d really like to pick up the Pumpkin Pie palette, and possibly others!
I also think that e.l.f. will continue to improve upon their formulas since they are an innovative company that makes changes based on customer feedback. I love that about e.l.f. Cosmetics! I look forward to seeing what they do next with their eyeshadows.
Which one of the e.l.f. Bite Size Eyeshadow palettes appeals to you most? Do you prefer more subtle or bold eye looks? The possibilities are endless!