I am not a proponent of fragrance in skincare or makeup, but I can’t resist fragrance in some of my hair and body care products. For example, when the fragrance smells like vacation, sunshine, and a fancy dessert all at once… Add that to a rich body cream, and I can’t resist.
Even if you missed the title of this post, there’s a good chance you know what I’m talking about. Sol de Janeiro’s Brazilian Bum Bum (pronounced “Boom Boom”) Cream is wildly popular, and for good reason! Brazilian Bum Bum cream is a very special product that provides a luxurious experience. It feels wonderful going on, smells absolutely amazing, and the scent lingers all day long.
If you aren’t familiar with Sol de Janeiro, it’s a cruelty-free company that makes body care, hair care, fragrances, sun care, lip butters, and even a candle that smells like their Bum Bum Cream (I would love to have one in every room of my house!). Sol de Janeiro embraces the Brazilian attitude of body positivity and also embraces diversity. Their products are formulated with many ingredients that are indigenous to Brazil, like their key ingredients cupuaçu butter, açaí oil, and coconut oil.
Product claims directly from SoldeJaneiro.com
Our award-winning, deliciously-scented body cream is the ultimate Brazilian Beauty Secret.
- Helps visibly smooth and tighten the appearance of your skin thanks to potent, caffeine-rich Guaraná Extract
- Fast-absorbing Cupuaçu Butter delivers deep hydration and essential fatty-acids deep into the skin, making this incredibly hydrating cream an instant treat to leave your skin feeling silky soft.
- Antioxidant-packed ingredients like Guaraná Extract and Açaí Oil help prevent environmental damage on your skin.
- Infused with Brazil Nut Oil, the most selenium-rich food in the world, to help support the skin’s natural ability to protect itself while giving it the glow of healthy-looking skin.
- Addictively scented with our Cheirosa ’62 fragrance with delicious notes of pistachio, salted caramel and vanilla, apply this body cream all over and you’ll feel body-confidence wherever you go, from day to night and well beyond.
Disclosure: IntegriBeauty includes affiliate links within product review posts. I receive commissions for purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you. Additionally, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. IntegriBeauty is independently owned and all products discussed within IntegriBeauty product review posts are thoroughly tested and given honest reviews.
Other product details
- Price: $45.00 (“purse size” is $10.00)
- Net weight: 8.1 oz. (purse size is 0.85 oz.)
- Made in USA
- Formulated without sulfates, phthalates, parabens, propylene glycol, petrolatum, mineral oil or microplastics
- 2020 Allure Readers’ Choice Award Winner
- 2020 Glamour Beauty Award Winner
- 2020 Essence Best in Black Beauty Award Winner
- Shelf life: 24 months
- Where to buy: SoldeJaneiro.com or Amazon.com
- Ships to USA and Canada from SoldeJaneiro.com
- Amazon ships internationally to over 100 countries, but not all items will ship to every country. Update your default shipping address to see items that will ship to your location.
- Overall rating: 8.8/10
- Ease of application: 10/10
- Hydration: 10/10
- Ingredients: 7/10
- Fragrance: 10/10
- Price: 7/10
Ease of application
Sol de Janeiro’s Brazilian Bum Bum Cream is packaged in a jar, like most thick creams and body butters. It’s easy to open and access the product. I’m glad of that because I wouldn’t want to waste a single bit of this delicious smelling body cream.
Unlike most thick body creams, this one is very quick and easy to apply. I find that most rich body creams are quite greasy and take a long time to work into the skin. They leave my hands feeling greasy too, and that’s pretty frustrating. Bum Bum cream absorbs quickly into the skin, making it very easy and pleasant to apply.
Even though this body cream doesn’t feel greasy and it’s not as thick as some body butters I’ve used, it definitely provides a good amount of hydration to the skin. My skin always feels soft, smooth, and well moisturized after I’ve applied this product. That hydration doesn’t fade quickly, either. The Cupuaçu Butter locks in moisture to keep skin feeling hydrated all day.
Aqua (Water, Eau), Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Dodecane, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Parfum (Fragrance), Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Euterpe Oleracea (Açaí) Fruit Oil, Theobroma Grandiflorum (Cupuaçu) Seed Butter, Bertholletia Excelsa Seed Oil, Paullinia Cupana Seed Extract, Ilex Guayusa Leaf Extract, Ilex Paraguariensis Leaf Extract, Bixa Orellana Seed Extract, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Squalane, Tocopherol, Sodium Phytate, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Glyceryl Caprylate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Xanthan Gum, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Sorbitan Isostearate, Phenoxyethanol, Mica, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Coumarin, Eugenol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Linalool
I honestly never paid attention to the ingredients in this product until I started preparing for this product review. Once I started digging into the list, there were some big surprises. First of all, there are 40 ingredients in this body cream! I think that’s the largest number I’ve seen out of all the products I’ve reviewed thus far.
There are twelve ingredients in this formula that directly benefit the skin. The thing about these ingredients that surprised me, is that eleven of those twelve ingredients aren’t in the top ten, which means the concentrations are probably quite low. Hopefully there is a high enough concentration of these to still benefit the skin:
- Natural moisturizer
- Sodium Hyaluronate
- Humectant (sodium form of hyaluronic acid)
- Coconut oil
- Moisturizes and seals in moisture
- Açaí oil
- Potent source of antioxidants, including ferulic acid and epicatechin
- Cupuaçu butter
- Contains many antioxidants and nutrients
- Deeply hydrates and soothes skin
- Brazil nut oil
- High in several nutrients (especially selenium, which fortifies the skin barrier)
- Penetrates deeply to improve skin health
- May smooth and firm skin
- Guaraná seed extract
- Tightens and smooths skin
- Antioxidant and antimicrobial properties
- Ilex Guayusa Leaf Extract
- Ilex Paraguariensis Leaf Extract
- Antioxidant properties
- Bixa Orellana Seed Extract
- Moisturizer (found naturally in certain fish, plants, and human skin)
- Tocopherol (vitamin E)
- Strengthens skin barrier
The majority of the other ingredients are neutral supporting ingredients like emollients, thickeners, emulsifiers, and preservatives.
Unfortunately, there are TEN ingredients that may be sensitizing to the skin. Carrot seed oil can have antioxidant properties, but applied topically it may cause sensitivity. The other nine potentially harmful ingredients are Parfum (fragrance) and other fragrance ingredients. This product is highly scented so I expected to see fragrance pretty high up the list, but I’m not sure why there are so many other fragrance ingredients, in addition to the Parfum, which is Sol de Janeiro’s proprietary fragrance blend.
Due to the amount of fragrance added to this product, I would highly recommend that anyone with sensitive skin avoid Brazilian Bum Bum Cream. Fortunately, Sol de Janeiro also offers a fragrance-free body cream called Brazilian Nude Cream. I haven’t reviewed that product’s ingredients in detail like I have for the Bum Bum Cream, but the Nude Cream would definitely be a better choice for anyone with sensitive skin.
While I’m not thrilled with the large number of fragrance ingredients in this product, I absolutely love its scent. Sol de Janeiro somehow created the most perfect blend (in my opinion) with the Cheirosa ’62 fragrance. I feel like this product is dessert for my skin. It has a decadently delicious scent that you might not want to use every day, but when you do, it’s a real treat!
I’m not very good at describing fragrances, but Sol de Janeiro does list the fragrance notes on their website to give you an idea of what the Cheirosa ’62 fragrance smells like:
- Top: pistachio, almond
- Mid: heliotrope, jasmine petals
- Dry: vanilla, salted caramel, sandalwood
Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Cream is $45.00. That is the most I’ve ever spent on a body care product and honestly felt pretty guilty about it at first. I’m not one to spend a lot of money on individual products, generally. However, I have to remember that this is a luxury item that does provide a luxury experience that I enjoy.
While I understand that luxury products come with a higher price tag than more affordable alternatives, I think this one is a bit overpriced for one reason and I’m sure you can guess what it is. Ingredients. I can look past the unusually long list of ingredients and even the nine fragrance ingredients (that’s pretty easy since I’m obsessed with this product’s scent), but I don’t think it’s right for Sol de Janeiro to put such a high price tag on a product when the skin-loving ingredients they tout are so far down the list.
Other Sol de Janeiro products with Cheirosa ’62 scent
If you’ve tried Brazilian Bum Bum Cream and love the scent, or you think you’d like it based on the description above, you might be interested in some of Sol de Janeiro’s other products that have the same Cheirosa ’62 fragrance:
- SOL Cheirosa ‘62 (perfume) $78.00
- Brazilian Crush Body Fragrance Mist $32.00
- Limited Edition Cheirosa ’62 Candle $42.00 (or $18.00 for a votive candle)
- Bum Bum Body Scrub $42.00
- Brazilian 4 Play Moisturizing Shower Cream-Gel $25.00
I think this body cream should be reformulated to move the standout ingredients closer to the top of the list. Many of them are unique ingredients that you don’t see often, and they would be more beneficial in higher concentrations. Other than that, I think Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Cream is golden! I only use it about once a week since it is an expensive product, but I always look forward to using it and love smelling it on my PJs the next morning when I wake up. 🙂
I would hesitate to buy this body cream for myself again due to the price, but I would love to receive it (or any other Sol de Janeiro products with the Cheirosa ’62 scent) as a gift! I think luxury items like this make very nice thoughtful gifts since many people don’t splurge on luxury products for themselves.
Have you ever tried the famous Brazilian Bum Bum Cream? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Please let me know in the comments below!